Protests and commemorations on the International Day for the Right to the Truth.
The Time for Truth Committee, made up of a group of victims’ families from some of the key legacy campaigns, is organising a series of protests across the country between 2pm – 3pm on Saturday 24th March to remember victims of the conflict and to raise awareness of their families’ ongoing struggle for truth.
We are calling on concerned citizens across the country to organise similar protests in their local area at the same time.
The protests also mark the United Nations’ “International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims”.
Ciarán MacAirt of the Time for Truth Committee said:
“The International Day for the Right to the Truth commemorates victims of human rights abuses across the globe and pays tribute to those who have fought for truth and justice.”
“We are organising a series of events between 2pm – 3pm on Saturday the 24th March to mark this day of action.”
“Truth belongs to us all. So, regardless of background or creed, we are asking people to assemble in their local area to commemorate all victims of the conflict and show their support for every family fighting for truth.”
“Last month, our Time for Truth March mobilised massive support on the streets for victims’ rights and our demands remain the same: fully implement the Stormont House Agreement legacy mechanisms, properly fund legacy inquests, and adequately resource the Police Ombudsman’s Office.”
Details of our protests and commemorations will be released in due course but we expect that families will also organise their own events locally.
Information for Editors:
1. Published by Ciarán MacAirt (McGurk’s Bar Campaign) on behalf of the Time for Truth Committee. Contact Ciarán via email email@example.com
2. The Time for Truth Committee is organised by families from the Ballymurphy Massacre Committee, Loughinisland Justice Group, Springhill Massacre Group,
Kelly’s Bar Campaign Group, New Lodge Six Time for Truth Campaign, Sean Graham
Ormeau Road Bookies Campaign, Damien Walsh Campaign and the McGurk’s Bar Commemoration Committee.
3. The United Nations’ “International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims” is observed annually across the globe to:
• Honour the memory of victims of gross and systematic human rights violations and promote the importance of the right to truth and justice;
• Pay tribute to those who have devoted their lives to, and lost their lives in, the struggle to promote and protect human rights for all;
• Recognize, in particular, the important work and values of Archbishop Oscar Arnulfo
Romero, of El Salvador, who was assassinated on 24 March 1980
Ciarán MacAirt is an Irish writer and author of The McGurk’s Bar Bombing: Collusion, Cover-Up and a Campaign for Truth.
He also manages Paper Trail, an innovative charity and social enterprise which offers legacy archive research services and helps families unearth the truth hidden in public records.